May 5-8, 2010
Four days of intensive workshops on fiction, nonfiction, poetry,
plot, and more! All of them taught by respected visiting writers
in the heart of downtown Miami at the Wolfson Campus of
Miami Dade College.
Download the Writers Institute 2010 Brochure (PDF)
Confused about how to plan your Writers Institute experience?
Check out our handy scheduling grid (PDF)
Quality workshops? Of course, but the Writers Institute is so much more:
• The Literature of Social Justice:
A Reading and Conversation with
Miami: City of Refuge Writer-in-Residence (FREE!)
• Daily Briefing Lectures – One topic per evening. Learn about the relationship between agents and writers, and get publicity tips from book PR professionals.
• Manuscript Consultations - One-on-one sessions with the pros and feedback on your manuscript! Space is limited.
• Lunchtime Reads - Each day, gather for lunch and to hear Writers Institute faculty read from their work.
• Literary Happy Hour - On Friday evening, May 7, from 5-6 p.m., rub elbows (and clink glasses) with the Institute’s authors and literary professionals.
• Pitch-o-rama 2010! On Saturday, practice the art of the one-minute pitch before a panel of industry pros. Get feedback on your book idea and free advice.
- How to register (includes link to registration forms, fees and submission instructions)
- 2010 Workshops:
Story Intensive with Dorothy Allison (sold out!)
Graphic Storytelling: A Workshop for Writers and Artists with Mark Siegel
Open Poetry: A Workshop on Writing in New Modes with Carolyn Forché
Writing Great Scenes for Fiction and Nonfiction with Connie May Fowler (sold out!)
Writing Your Memoir in Color with Rick Bragg (sold out!)
Writing Narrative Nonfiction and the Book Proposal with Samuel G. Freedman (sold out!)
Mysteries and Thrillers: Getting Started Building Your Private Eye with Carolina Garcia-Aguilera
IN SPANISH! Cómo escribir y publicar su cuento con Teresa Dovalpage
- 2010 Daily Breifing Lectures:
Agents and Authors from Soup to Nuts with Joy Harris and Connie May Fowler
Get Your Book Noticed! PR Tips and Tricks with Jessica Jonap and Paola Fernandez Rana
- Agent Manuscript Consultation:
Agent Manuscript Consultations with Joy Harris and Moses Cardona. (sold out!)
Please note that because enrollment in most workshops is limited to 15 students, we must have ample time to seek and register a replacement should you be forced to cancel your attendance to the Writers Institute. For that reason, the deadline to cancel your registration for any workshop or lecture and receive a full refund is Monday, April 5, 2010. After that date, we will not be able to offer any refunds.